Sportalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ?

+2
spurs@heart
localhost8080
6 posters

Go down

Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ? Empty Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ?

Post  localhost8080 Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:53 pm

this question comes up all the time - every few years they are always on about breaking up the SPL so that rangers and celtic can play in england. i think its a bad idea. there would be some fantastic games, but rangers and celtic arent on the same level as most premiership teams. they wouldnt finnish last, but they wouldnt win - at least for 10 or so years, till they built up a team of quality players.
what do you all think ?
localhost8080
localhost8080

Back to top Go down

Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ? Empty Re: Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ?

Post  spurs@heart Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 pm

I don't think that it would be a good idea for them to join in the league. I do quite like the idea of a cup that includes the English and Scottish teams. Would be interesting to see!
spurs@heart
spurs@heart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ? Empty Re: Should the old firm be able to join the english premiership ?

Post  gscs Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:14 am

I believe they are premiership quality. alien
They have proved in recent seasons that they can compete in competitive matches against EPL opposition. But to survive in EPL, they need strong financial support at the back.
gscs
gscs

http://www.walletboosters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cobalt Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:59 pm

I believe they should stay separate in the leagues, though it would be interesting to see a cup that includes teams from Scotland. Though I wouldn't put my money on either Celtic of Rangers winning, I think they have the grit and the players to give most of the Premiership clubs a run for their money.

There's a lot more homegrown talent lending to a different style of football, so it'd be interesting to see how they dealt with the likes Cristiano Ronaldo and Cesc Fabregas .
Cobalt
Cobalt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sims2 Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:55 pm

They shouldn't be allowed to join the English Premiership immediately. They should have to work up the leagues, perhaps starting in the Championship or even League 1. Although there are Welsh teams in the English leagues (Swansea, Cardiff) I would be against any sort of move. They're Scottish clubs, and the idea of them playing in England is strange and clubs would have to travel extensively for away matches to Scotland. In addition, this would weaken the Scottish league so I am sure they would be against it too.

Sims2

Back to top Go down

Post  jawlk Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:18 am

I think they should be able to join the premiership, it would be a challenge indeed and not just for the players for for the teams financial standing as well. Overall I think it could lead to nothing be a positive experience, you never know if the oldies still got fight in em.
jawlk
jawlk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down