Sportalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the best player in the world?

+18
Mclaren MP4-20
Craig
zxlewi
jawlk
sanatflapjacks
conly65
Sam Designs
nareshshah2008
artagnan1978
reloadit
pratik_0088
Badadis
Spence
spurs@heart
Alex_Palace
Ashleigh
Arctic
Saintjersey
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who is the best player in the world? Empty Who is the best player in the world?

Post  Saintjersey Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Despite Nadal winning both the French Open and Wimbledon, Federer remains World Number 1. I think that Nadal has proven he is the best player this year but you can't just forget Federer's past achievements. I think for the time being it is fair on Federer to still be ranked as the best player in the world, but if Nadal wins the U. S Open, Nadal should be rightfully recognised as the best player.

What do other people think?
Saintjersey
Saintjersey
Admin

https://sporttalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Who is the best player in the world? Empty Re: Who is the best player in the world?

Post  Arctic Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Nadal for me, he has proven that he is by winning two grand slams this year. Federer has been unable to win Wimbledon and the French, but Nadal has been able to show how versitile he is, and for that reason he is the best in the world.
Arctic
Arctic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Who is the best player in the world? Empty Re: Who is the best player in the world?

Post  Saintjersey Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm

Arctic wrote:Nadal for me, he has proven that he is by winning two grand slams this year. Federer has been unable to win Wimbledon and the French, but Nadal has been able to show how versitile he is, and for that reason he is the best in the world.

That's what swung it for me Arctic, his versitilty has been brilliant.
Saintjersey
Saintjersey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashleigh Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:58 am

I believe Nadal will be no.1 by the end of the year or early next year. He is playing the better tennis at the moment and I just adore him

Ashleigh

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex_Palace Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:42 am

Even though he lost to Nadel, I still think Federar was put in an amazing performance and could come back stronger to retain his number 1 status.

TBH, I don't really understand how the rankings work... can anyone explain?
Alex_Palace
Alex_Palace

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintjersey Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am

Alex_Palace wrote:Even though he lost to Nadel, I still think Federar was put in an amazing performance and could come back stronger to retain his number 1 status.

TBH, I don't really understand how the rankings work... can anyone explain?

Rankings are determined on how well players do in tournaments every year. Players gain ranking points by performing better at a tournament than they did last year. However, if the player is knocked out say in second round (when they got to the fourth round the year before) they will lose ranking points.

So Federer would have lost points as he won Wimbledon last year, whilst Nadal would have gained points as he finished runner up last year.
Saintjersey
Saintjersey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex_Palace Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Right. So the best result for Nadal in the US is if Federer goes out early, as likely as that is Razz
Alex_Palace
Alex_Palace

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintjersey Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Alex_Palace wrote:Right. So the best result for Nadal in the US is if Federer goes out early, as likely as that is Razz

Pretty much, but remember there are many tournaments before the U.S.

I fully expect Nadal to be World Number One by the end of the season.
Saintjersey
Saintjersey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  spurs@heart Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 pm

Federer in my opinion is still the best player in the world - however complacency after years of grass court domination may hve been his downfall this year whilst Nadal was really up for it. If Federer works a bit harder again now then there is no doubt that he will be better again - and lets be honest there was little difference between them...
spurs@heart
spurs@heart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Spence Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Times are changing, and I think Nadal will soon replace Federer at the top.

They are very even at the moment.
Spence
Spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Badadis Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 am

Right now, Federer is still number 1. Nadal fought really hard to win. He was all over the place in the Wimbledon final, but fame and fortune might affect him. I think Federer will remain one of the greatest tennis players, in their with Pete Sampras and Bjorn Borg. No doubt about that.

Badadis

Back to top Go down

Post  pratik_0088 Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 pm

fedx and nadal these 2 rivals are gr8 plzyers. but for me there is also 1 player world can forgot his gr8 skills,his patients.
pit sampras wat game he played those days. and in woman session its martina hingis

pratik_0088

Back to top Go down

Post  reloadit Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:10 am

Federer All The Way...
No One Better Though My Eyes.

Thanks, Very Happy
reloadit
reloadit

Back to top Go down

Post  artagnan1978 Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:16 pm

Ashleigh wrote:I believe Nadal will be no.1 by the end of the year or early next year. He is playing the better tennis at the moment and I just adore him

I am mainly thinking the same thing. Currently Nadal is the better player. Although Federer is no. 1 in the ATP rankings, Nadal just plays a better and more efficient tennis. At Wimbledon you all saw the results... Federer was beaten by Nadal... and I am afraid that this trend will continue. Federer will lose other matches and tournaments too, and this year we will have a new leader in the ATP rankings.
artagnan1978
artagnan1978

http://www.dreamteamgdi.ws

Back to top Go down

Post  nareshshah2008 Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:54 pm

i think the question should be "who is the best male/female player?"

any ways for me is nadal in male and sharapova in females Smile

nareshshah2008

http://www.webmastersheaven.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Designs Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 pm

I still think Roger Federer is the best tennis player, even though Nadal beat him. I can't remember how many grand slam tournaments he's won - but it's well over 20.

Sam Designs

Back to top Go down

Who is the best player in the world? Empty Sampras

Post  conly65 Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:40 am

Funny you guys say about Sampras and Federer because there are mixed opinions, Sampras never won all four of the grand slams but does hold the record for most grand slam titles and federer also has not won all four. In terms of this, Rod Laver is the greatest tennis male player ever and is widely recognised as being this as he won the golden grand slam - Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, Olympic Gold and Us Open all in one year and won some grand slams a number of times. Also Mcenroe never won the Australian because back then it was a long way away for players to travel to and expensive and Borg did not win all of them either so for me Rod Laver is the best. Womens has to be Steffi Graf as she also did the golden grand slam and noone comes near her in that respect althought playing ability Monica Seles may have ecipsed her had she not been stabbed and Hingis was up there too.

conly65

Back to top Go down

Who is the best player in the world? Empty 20!?

Post  conly65 Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:09 am

Also Federer has no way near 20 grand slams seeing as Sampras' record still stands at 16 and federer is on 12 i think.

conly65

Back to top Go down

Post  sanatflapjacks Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:44 am

@conly65: Sampras won 14 GS, not 12, so Fed isn't that far away.

However, I think the best player in the world is Nadal. He has won the French Open, Wimbledon and the Gold Medal in Beijing. No one can seem to beat him right now. His serve is finally becoming a weapon, and his all around game is as solid as ever. His weakness (so people say) is his forehand, but if thats his weakness, I shudder to think about his strengths. He moves exceptionally, and is probably the only player who gives a 100% every time he is on the court. Right now, hes the best player in tennis.

sanatflapjacks

http://www.sanatflapjacks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jawlk Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 am

John McEnroe, I gotta love his junkyard swings. McEnroe is a true champion in my sights, no other tennis player can amount to his aggressiveness. Also I love all the hype about him getting angry at judges, it just builds into his awesome character.
jawlk
jawlk
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  zxlewi Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:51 pm

I think Leander Pase is the best player in the world, atleast in the Asian continent. Unfortunatily he is out of form. Sad which is really bad for asia at the moment Sad such a shame that is i wish he would become better and prove his country.

Last edited by zxlewi on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

zxlewi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:15 pm

I'd say it's Roger Nadal. He's viewed as one of the best in the world by some, but even so I somehow still feel like he's underrated. Sampras and Federer are also great players, but something about Nadal sets him apart from most other competitors, to me he seems like a better winner than the two.

Craig
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Saintjersey Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Craig wrote:I'd say it's Roger Nadal. He's viewed as one of the best in the world by some, but even so I somehow still feel like he's underrated. Sampras and Federer are also great players, but something about Nadal sets him apart from most other competitors, to me he seems like a better winner than the two.

Roger Nadal? What a player he would be. lol!
Saintjersey
Saintjersey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mclaren MP4-20 Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:20 pm

My Favorite Player is Lleyton Hewitt , No doubt his grass court results are incredible - 2002 Wimbledon Champion, 4 times Queen's Club Champion but he has already past his prime. Only 2 of the top 16 seeds manage to get past the fourth round. He beat the inexperience Nalbandian in the final

My second Player is Roger Just an amazing Player dunno whats Happening to him lately Shocked

Mclaren MP4-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratchet Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Rafael Nadal has proved himself to be the best in my opinion though by world ranking status Roger is still number one. Though Roger in my opinion is still the best and he's most likely just had some bad luck this year. Remember that you can never win everything..

Ratchet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next