Sportalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too many swimming events?

+2
spurs@heart
BenJ
6 posters

Go down

Too many swimming events? Empty Too many swimming events?

Post  BenJ Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Not to take anything away from Michael Phelps, of course, but does anyone else think that there may be just one or two too many swimming events?

I appreciate there are many different swimming disciplines, varying in length and stroke, as well as incorporating a team (as in the case of the relay), but I think that maybe they could discard one or two in time for the next Olympics in the interests of fairness - After all, how many disciplines would say a track athlete need to be good at to have a chance of winning as many as 8 medals?

BenJ

Back to top Go down

Too many swimming events? Empty Re: Too many swimming events?

Post  spurs@heart Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:25 pm

yeah there are too many swimming events... and too many running events... and too many rowing events... and too many events with horses... and too much gymnastics. Im not the biggest fan of the Olympics!
spurs@heart
spurs@heart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Tinkleheimer Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 pm

As a swimmer, I have to disagree with the number of swimming events. There are only 4 strokes you can do, Freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly. Freestyle has the most events, ranging in distances from 50m-1600m. The others have distances of about 100-200m. There are also Individual Medleys (the swimmer doing all the strokes), Freestyle Relays, and Medley Relays. It seems like a lot, but swimming is a sport that gets a lot of cheer and it is just fun.

Tinkleheimer

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Hey now, more of the world is underwater than it is above water! I'd say the number of on-ground events can't compare to swimming, so I don't see a problem! Very Happy I enjoy the swimming events, they might be a little tedious and repetitive, but there's different elements in each race as one is dependant mostly on speed and then another on stamina and endurance, etc.

Craig
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  zxlewi Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:13 pm

I think swimmers are taking away more golds since there are many swimming events in the Olympics. Its varies as per the track length the way etc. I think its not fair, since one person who is better in one can be better in another one and can get more golds than other type of players.

zxlewi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:43 pm

There really aren't that many events actually, as far as actual swimming, perhaps as many as track. Diving, though, there are a lot of events for that, but diving is very complex. Swimming alone just combined a bunch of ways of racing, like freestyle, relay, medley, etc... I think track does this also.

Craig
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  zxlewi Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 am

Ye i think you notice more that its all in the pool wereas the track races are outside and have different obstacles or something. Still i think that there should be more swimming races for the girls Razz come on guys get behind your team (literally) Razz nah but some of them are hot Smile

zxlewi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  kunal Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:16 pm

How is a large number of events a disadvantage for non swimmers? You think swimming is a walk in the park? You think swimming is just jumping in the pool and thrashing your arms about as fast as you can? No way. If people are winning in multiple events, you should stand up and say wow, instead of trashing them.

kunal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down