Sportalk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The future of books!

+7
Valcer
balwinder
ladycallie
Sam Designs
Arctic
Saintjersey
artagnan1978
11 posters

Go down

The future of books! Empty The future of books!

Post  artagnan1978 Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:14 pm

In today's era of technology, TV and computers, I wonder if books - the traditional book made from paper - have a future!

I noticed that people just doesn't read as much as before, they do not go to the libraries and buy books.

Most of the books are coming available in electronic formats - ebooks - and people tend to read and collect ebooks and not real books.

For me, books will always have a future, because it is a complete different thing holding a book in your hand, sitting on the couch and reading it, rather than sitting in the front of the computer and reading a book on he screen of your computer.

Are you reading real books or just ebooks? Or maybe both???
artagnan1978
artagnan1978

http://www.dreamteamgdi.ws

Back to top Go down

The future of books! Empty Re: The future of books!

Post  Saintjersey Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:16 pm

I still prefer reading a book. I don't really like reading lots of text off a computer screen. If I ever have to read alot I end up printing it off, or try and find it in a book.

So for me books all the way.

Last edited by Saintjersey on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistake)
Saintjersey
Saintjersey
Admin

https://sporttalk.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  artagnan1978 Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Saintjersey wrote:I still prefer reading a book. I don't really like reading lots of text off a computer screen. If I ever have to read alot I end up printing it of, or try and find it in a book.

So for me books all the way.

That is good! It means that books just might have a future in front of them. Maybe books will remains what they are... there is another alternative to books that might replace them: audio books! It is starting to spread along with ebooks! I don't like either read lots of text off the computer screen... my eyes got tired after a while!
artagnan1978
artagnan1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Arctic Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:42 pm

I hope books are here to stay, but unfortunately with technology always changing eventually books may be non- existant with everything on a computer.
Arctic
Arctic
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Post  artagnan1978 Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Arctic wrote:I hope books are here to stay, but unfortunately with technology always changing eventually books may be non- existant with everything on a computer.

That is what I am afraid of... that books will eventually disappear. That is the course of evolution... new things appear and other things just vanish after a while. I am not sure if that is good or bad, but that's how things are.

Maybe our grandchildren will laugh when they will see the books on the shelves on our home and would say: silly old mans Smile they still have books!
artagnan1978
artagnan1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Designs Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 pm

I don't think I could read a book off the computer screen, so I'd always go for one on paper.

Imagine reading the 600page or so Harry Potter books on the screen?

Sam Designs

Back to top Go down

Post  ladycallie Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I absolutely despise e-books. They annoy me and are really a pain to read. I cant cradle an e-book in my hands and take it everywhere with me! Of course, Amazon has that new thing out that has like, thousands of e-books on one tiny hand held device. I personally don't buy books at a store too often. I always pick them up used (saves money and the cost to produce it) or steal them from friends. Libraries will always hold a special place in my heart!

ladycallie

Back to top Go down

Post  balwinder Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:30 pm

I dont think books have a future, the kids hate readinf because they think why not just watch the books film and get the essay done. Even those who like reading will eventually stop. Crying or Very sad

balwinder

Back to top Go down

Post  Valcer Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:18 pm

I think handheld devices are the way forward. Books are really so wasteful if you think about it. I don't think reading will 'die out' any time soon. There's still plenty of kids reading books, even if the media says otherwise.

Valcer

Back to top Go down

Post  ladycallie Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:12 am

Valcer wrote:I think handheld devices are the way forward. Books are really so wasteful if you think about it. I don't think reading will 'die out' any time soon. There's still plenty of kids reading books, even if the media says otherwise.

That is a very good point that I had not considered. E-Books and digital audio books on MP3 take much less energy to use, and create. While paperbacks or hardbacks take plenty of energy and everything. Plus it uses a lot of trees to make a few books. O_O Thats why I always buy mine from yardsales or ebay or thrift shops. Anything but brand-new.

ladycallie

Back to top Go down

Post  ladycallie Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:13 am

balwinder wrote:I dont think books have a future, the kids hate readinf because they think why not just watch the books film and get the essay done. Even those who like reading will eventually stop. Crying or Very sad

Thats a negative way to look at it. A lot of teachers know when they watched only the movie. Movies are usually very different from the book, and then the kids get in trouble. I dont think thats a huge problem.

ladycallie

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:16 pm

I've had my share of experiences with eBooks and electronic books, there's nothing wrong with them but I'd hardly call it all 'the future.' There aren't any big benefits, in my opinion, over just grabbing a hardback book. Listening to a book makes it a little harder for me to recall the events that go on, but it's cool, it's faster overall so I guess it's worth it.

Craig
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Aran Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 pm

I never understood the point of reading books..I've never read a book like, page by page, never..I just don't see the point. How can you get like, an enjoyment from reading a book, I haven't understood that. I'm fine without reading any books, I mean it's not like my grammar is bad or anything due to the lacking of books.So I really dont see the point.

Aran
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Post  zxlewi Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:35 pm

i too wondered about what will be the future of the books and newspapers. As a child i fantasized about the books that can be read without changing pages or the news paper in which new news will be appearing again and again each day. And it might contain moving images too and some times books may be interactive.

zxlewi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Back to top Go down

Post  kunal Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:59 pm

To reply to Aran,

Then you could apply the same logic to everything in life. Why do you have food? Why not simply eat a liquid diet through an IV tube? Why wear clothes at all? Whats the point? Why work, why not steal?

I hope books of paper never go out of fashion, I just love the smell of old and new books!

kunal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down